The single room schoolhouse was built sometime between 1890-1905. For over 50 years the school taught local children of all ages. Over time the population of Corolla changed due to closures of the lifesaving station and changes in fishing/hunting regulations, causing the school to close in 1958 due to lack of students. During its closure the schoolhouse was used as a community recreation hall and later a private residence. In 1999 the building was purchased and restored, eventually becoming a museum. Later in 2012 the schoolhouse was restored to its original role and opened its doors to local children as a multi-age charter school.
Photo: 1961 - Corolla NC Collection - Outer Banks History Center