'Tis the season for quiet beaches and holiday spirit! Whether you're a Corolla local, homeowner, or loyal visitor, this information is great for planning the perfect evening out, a day filled with holiday cheer, or just enjoying the serenity (and good deals!) of the off-season.
Local Luminaries and Outer Banks Holiday Events
- It is a true Outer Banks tradition to walk about "The Chistmas House" in Kill Devil Hills. The Poulos family takes decorating to a whole new level with thousands of lights, Chistmas music, and animatronic lawn decor. Make a right on Ocean Acres Drive in Kill Devil Hills and drive until you think you've reached the North Pole (you can't miss it!). It's free to enjoy and walk through! (November 17 - December 31, 2015)
- The Elizabethan Gardens in Manteo, NC on Roanoke Island boasts the most beautiful holiday display with their Winter Lights event. You'll find a true winter wonderland the whole family will enjoy. Stay warm by the open-air fire on the Great Lawn and see the sparkling trees lining the Gatehouse from 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m., Wednesday through Saturday until December 30 (January 2 - 23, Friday & Saturday only).
- Lace up your running shoes for the 3rd Annual Festivus Road Race in Southern Shores, NC on Saturday, December 19 at 7:45 a.m. Choose from a 10k loop, out and back 5k, Jingle Jog 1 mile, and the Little Elf 1/4 mile for the kiddos! All participants will enjoy a post-race breakfast and a photo op with Santa himself. Sign up here (rosy cheeks guaranteed!)
Wine & Dine For Goodness Sake - Where to Find December Deals and Special Events
- Aqua Restaurant & Spa in Duck is the perfect place to catch an amazing Outer Banks sunset. We love their off-season Sunday feature - Burgers & Brews! You can catch live music, daily happy hour, and delicous weekly specials. Keep an eye out for their winter specials at the Spa - we highly recommend the Comfort & Joy Swedish Massage.
- TRiO Wine, Beer, & Cheese in Kitty Hawk is a must-stop while you're in town. Just ask the locals! On December 12 from 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. stop by for their annual Holiday Market hosting local artists and crafts as well as their HUGE selection of wine, beer, and cheese! You'll also find great live music throughout the week as well as their weekly specials; 1/2 price draught beer on Sundays and 1/2 price wine by the glass on Mondays. What a treat!
- Grab a seat at the bar or bring the whole family for dinner at Black Pelican in Kitty Hawk, NC. Their famous wood-fired pizzas are only $8.99 every Monday from 4:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. and you'll always find a daily drink special.
- The Annual Holiday Wine Tasting and Sale at Ocean Boulevard Bistro & Martini Bar in Kitty Hawk is a great chance to broaden your wine horizons. On December 9 from 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. you can taste 6-8 wines from around the world with the option to purchase by the bottle at well below retail price.
- Captain George's Seafood has a lot to offer right now! Daily drink specials; $2.50 domestic draughts, $5 margaritas, and $4.50 house wines, to name a few. From December through February they offer their complete buffet for $27! That's a great deal. Captain George's will also be open for Christmas Eve dinner and they welcome large parties.
- Kelly's Restaurant and Tavern has been an Outer Banks restaurant favorite for over 30 years. Join them for dinner or stop by the Tavern for live music or happy hour specials (free chili and nachos!). They will be open for Christmas Eve dinner so call and make your reservation today!
- One of the Outer Banks' newest restuarants has quickly become a local favorite. The Saltbox Cafe on Colington Road in Kill Devil Hills has a weekly rotating menu so you might not see the same entree twice! On December 29 at 6:00 p.m. they are offering a French wine dinner with 6 wines and 6 courses - call and reserve your table soon, they sell out quickly!
- Wine 101 courses every Thursday until Christmas at the one and only Basnight's Lone Cedar Cafe! Relax in the Osprey Lounge and enjoy four varietals with pairings overlooking the Roanoke Sound. If you'll be on the beach for New Year's Eve, Basnight's is a great place to ring in 2016 - they throw quite the party and they will have a 7 piece band for your dancing pleasure!
- You don't want to miss Currituck Christmas on December 19 at Sanctuary Vineyards. Hosted at the Jarvisburg location, the Cotton Gin will have awesome sales, Sanctuary Vineyards will be pouring their award-winning wines, and you can munch on free appetizers from their own Thyme & Tide Cafe.
Christmas Eve Church Services in the Outer Banks
- Corolla Chapel located in historic Corolla Village - 7:00 p.m.
- Duck United Methodist - 4:30 p.m., 6:00 p.m., 7:30 p.m.
- Liberty Christian Fellowship in Kill Devil Hills - 6:00 p.m.
- Kitty Hawk United Methodist - 4:00 p.m. (kid's service), 5:30 p.m., 7:00 p.m.
- Holy Redeemer Catholic Parish - 4:00 p.m., 7:00 p.m.
- Outer Banks Presbyterian in Nags Head - 5:00 p.m.