Life by Water's Rhythms
... is the theme of this educational facility dedicated to exploring coastal North Carolina's wildlife, natural history and heritage. Part of the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission, the Outer Banks Center for Wildlife Education is located in Corolla, at beautiful Currituck Heritage Park, between Currituck Beach Lighthouse and the Whalehead Club. The Center offers both indoor and outdoor attractions for visitors to enjoy. December Activities & Workshops Schedule Programs are free. Pre-registration is required.
- Archery Basics for Adults & Teens - Length: 2 hours. Age: 14+. December 30.
- Archery Basics for Kids - Length: 1 1/2 hours. Age: 7-13. December 30.
- Bass Class for Smallmouths - Length: 30 min. Age: 2-7. December 27.
- Bear Necessities - Length: 45 min. Age: All. December 28, January 11.
- Exhibit Explorations - Length: 30 min. Age: 7+. January 25.
- Fish Stories - Length: 30 min. Age: 2-4. December 29, January 6.
- Identifying Frog Calls - Length: 1 1/2 hour lecture, 2-hour optional field session. Age 14+. January 21, 4pm - Moyock. January 26, 4pm - Corolla.
- Marine Mammals of North Carolina - Length: 1 hour. Age: 14+. December 18, 27.
- Nature Flix - Length: 1 hour. Age: all. December 27.
- Nature Photography for Kids - Length: 1 hour. Age: 7-13. December 31, January 15.
- Sandy Claws - Length: 45 min. Age: all. December 11, 22, 28.
- Seal Monitoring - Length: 1-1 1/2 hours w/ optional volunteer training. Age: 14+. December 18.
- Whale Tales - Length: 1 hour. Age: 2-7; 7-13. December 11, 29; January4.
- Winter Waterfowl Tour: Currituck Sound - Length: 2 hours. Age: 14+. December 14, January 15.
Exhibits & Displays:
- Outstanding collection of hunting and fishing artifacts depicting the rich natural and cultural history of northeastern North Carolina.
- 8,000-gallon aquarium stocked with native fish species found in Currituck Sound.
- More than 250 antique waterfowl decoys.
- Full-size "Wildlife of the Marsh" diorama.
Film: The 20-minute feature presentation, "Life by Water's Rhythms," explores the important influence of water on the natural and cultural history of the region. Additional video presentations are offered regularly. N.C. Wild Store: The N.C. Wild Store offers wildlife merchandise including books, posters, gifts, artwork and apparel. The store also carries Commission educational materials. All proceeds support conservation education projects and programs. Outer Banks Center for Wildlife Education website