Whether you have visited the Outer Banks one time or one hundred times, it's likely that you've fallen in love with our little coastline. Wrap up some of these OBX gifts then sit back and watch the smiles unfold. You'll find something on this list for everyone - and maybe something for yourself!
- For the aspiring bartender or rum aficianado, Kill Devil Rum from Outer Banks Distilling in Manteo makes for a truly special gift. This Roanoke Island libation will have them thanking you with each sip.
- Holiday party hosts, teachers, and even the dog-sitter will love a sweet treat from Outer Banks Rum Cakes. Topped with Carolina pecans and sugar crunch, you can't go wrong!
- Everyone has that friend who dreams of their Outer Banks vacation all year long. Put a twinkle in their eye by gifting a horse tour with Corolla Outback Adventures. Call or email to purchase a gift certificate and they will mail it right to your door. This is truly the gift that keeps on giving.
- Cosmo's Pizzeria in Corolla is known for having the coolest t-shirts in town every year. Oh, and the best pizza! Call or email to order a gift certificate and top it with a tee. Now that's a delicious stocking stuffer.
- Pumpkin Cobbler, Gingerbread Man, and Mulled Cider are a few of our favorite hand-crafted specialties from The Outer Banks Candle Company. Mixed, poured, and labled right in the heart of Kitty Hawk, NC! We also love their Sea Scape Collection to put everyone in the beachy-mood.
- Every local gal on the Outer Banks can be spotted wearing a custom piece from All Washed Up Jewelry. Sentimental, funny, clever - you pick! This will be a jump-up-and-down gift - trust us! Some of our favorite hand-stamped necklaces are: MERMAID, SHELL YEAH, OCEAN MINDED, and SEAS THE DAY.
- Shopping for a self-proclaimed "Grill Master"? Look no further. High Cotton Barbeque in Kitty Hawk bottles, sells, and ships their famous sauces. We recommend buying one of each - the vinegar-based Pig Pickin' Sauce and the tomato-based Matt's Chick N' Rib Sauce. Finger-licking good!
- Have you ever considered gifting a lesson from Corolla Surf School (via Corolla Surf Shop)? It's an amazing experience for all ages and there is a 100% chance of smiles, laughter, and candid photos. Plus, dreaming of riding waves in the warm summer sun will help beat the winter blues.
- Carolina Keiki has become a staple for the local kiddos on the Outer Banks. Their fun graphics and bold patterns are designed, handmade, and sold right in Duck, NC. Shopping Tip: Gifting a gift certificate might be best - they are constantly adding new items in the shop and online!
- There is a reason why you hear Southerners use the term, "sit a spell". We may be biased but the best rocking chairs and hammocks (and sweet tea!) come from the South. Gifting an original Nags Head Hammock is like gifting relaxation - and you can't put a price on that!
- The Cottage Shop in Duck, NC is one of our favorite places to stop when we're on the hunt for a gift. They carry unique home accents, handmade jewelry, and recently discovered: the catstudio geography collection. The Outer Banks dish towel has been flying off the shelves! We love illustration that includes a wild horse, bi-plane, and a pirate ship - a big part of Outer Banks history.
- If you invite an Outer Banks local to a dinner party, odds are they will come bearing wine. But not just any wine, a bottle from our local juicer - Sanctuary Vineyards. Located on the mainland of Currituck County, Sanctuary has perfected the art of growing grapes by the beach despite the unruly conditions. Stop by their tasting room to learn more about their 14 wines and take home a bottle (or a case) of your new NC favorites.
- Last, but certainly not least, a special recommendation for an Outer Banks gift; a donation to the Corolla Wild Horse Fund (CWHF). Caring for and protecting the wild Spanish mustangs of the northern Corolla beaches is more than a full-time job and without state or federal funding, CWHF solely relies on donations. Your contribution will mean the world to CWHF and to Outer Banks lovers alike.
Remember, Small Business Saturday is November 28th, 2015. If you're vacationing on the Outer Banks during the Thanksgiving holiday this is a great time to get some shopping checked off your list! If you're dreaming of the Outer Banks from afar, you can still shop and order by phone and online. Happy gift-giving, y'all!